1. Observe: Hold the wine glass by stem at an angle. Observe the wine's clarity, color, hue and intensity. The wine should be clear and visually pleasing.
2. Smell: Bring the glass to within an inch of your nose and inhale deeply.The aroma should be pleasant and inviting.
3. Swirl & Smell: Swirl the wine in your glass, and before it stops swirling—smell a second time. The aroma should be pleasant and inviting—only more intense than the first. Swirling introduces oxygen into the wine.
4. Taste: Take a small sip of wine; then a sip of air.Keep the wine in your mouth and run it over your tongue.
5. Assess: Make your assessment as to sight, aroma, flavor and overall impression.