Oscar True or False
1) The Oscar is 13.5" high and weighs 8.5 pounds.
2) Oscar is made of solid 25 Karat gold.
False- Oscar's coated with 25 Karat gold, but the statue is a nickel and silver alloy.
3) Oscar is a knight that stands on a film reel with a sword in its hands.
4) During WWII Oscar was made out of plaster.
5) The first Oscar ceremony took place in 1919.
False. It took place in 1929.
6) The first Oscar ceremony was held at Grauman's Chinese Theater.
False. It was held at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.
7) Bobby Flay has catered the Governor's Ball for over a decade.
False- Wolfgang Puck has catered the event.
8) The highest number of Oscars won by a film is 11.
True- 3 films have won 11 awards: Ben Hur, Titanic and Lord of the Rings- Return of the King.
9) Katherine Hepburn received the highest number of acting award nominations.
False- Meryl Streep, at 16 nominations and won twice.
10) Midnight Cowboy is the only X rated film to ever win an Oscar for Best Picture.
True- Clockwork Orange was the only other X rated film nominated, but it didn't win.