- Bring water, salt and garlic to a boil in a large heavy saucepan.
- Grease a 9" round baking dish.
- Gradually ad the cornmeal to the boiling water while whisking until smooth. Reduce heat to meium/low and cook until the cornmeal is soft, thick and creamy, whicking often (about 12-15 min.).
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the cheddar cheese an all of the mascarpone, 3 T butter an pepper. Pour into prepare pan, cover and let stand until set up and comes to room temperature.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and dot the 1T remaining butter on top of the polenta. Place in a 400 degree oven and bake til golden 20-25 min.